Tokyo Medical University accepts overseas students from universities with which we have a formal student exchange agreement.
The International Exchange Committee serves as your contact for assistance with everything involved with study at Tokyo Medical University, from application procedures to student life while studying in Japan and returning home.
We offer our overseas students comprehensive support aimed at deepening their understanding of Japanese culture and people and enriching their educational experience here.
|Training institution||Tokyo Medical University Hospital
Located in Shinjuku,a skyscraper-lined central area of Tokyo,this medical institution provides cutting-edge medical care as a designated advanced treatment hospital. We offer a training program in which students from overseas can spend approximately 2-4 weeks at each hospital department of their choice. The list of clinical electives available at TMU
|Eligible students||Students who are enrolled at a sister school or school with which this university has signed a student exchange agreement and who have basic experience in clinical training|
|Training period||1 – 2 months
Rotation starts on a Monday and ends on a Friday.
|Expenses||No tuition fees and accommodation is free|
|Application documents||Please submit the following documents in English to the appropriate department of your university
* Deadline for applications: Submit relevant documents a minimum of 5 months prior to the requested elective start day
|Accommodation||Students live in an apartment, “Cosmo House” located close to Tokyo Medical University|
- Please make sure to buy travel insurance before leaving for Japan. If you need to see a doctor during your stay at TMU, you will first have to pay the entire cost yourself. You can then claim the money back from your insurance company on arriving back in your home country.
- Exchange students may borrow the following items from TMU:
- White coats
- IP phone for use at hospital only
- Prepaid mobile phone pre-charged with 3,000 yen
Outline of Clinical Clerkship at TMU
- First day (Monday)
- Morning: Short orientation and hospital tour held by Medical Education Promotion CenterAfternoon: Clerkship starts in requested department
- Monday – Friday
- Check daily schedule with selected rotation department
Submit journal of activities to Medical Education Promotion Center every day
- Free time
There is no clerkship
- Last 1-2 weeks of stay
- Farewell party
Students will give presentation on experiences at TMU
- Last day
- Return any borrowed items (see the above) to Medical Education Promotion Center
Useful Information about Japan
|Tokyo Metro||JR East||Airport Limousine Bus|
|DISCOVER the SPIRIT of JAPAN||japan-guide.com|